I dissolved the idea of an interlaced piece of different cultural perspectives into one focusing on the whaling industry in Japan.
A brief history: Japan has hunted whales for hundreds of years, it is part of their culture, and whale meat is a delicacy. Now in this modern era there have been conservative sanctions placed on whaling worldwide by the International Whaling Commission. Japan ignores these sanctions and continues to thin the the already small numbers of Humpback and Bottlenose whales by claiming they are conducting "scientific research" and are merely collecting "samples." Yet tracking numbers on packaged whale meat shows they're shipping these "research samples" to local restaurants for huge profit.
Regarding the composition, I'm not sure whether I should use the Japan-side panel (right) to show that while they have a legitimate and rich culture and history in this area that they are still committing a humanitarian injustice, or rather to show them as mindless butchers with no regard for animal life.

No comments:
Post a Comment